Get your own free Blogoversary button!

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies




For years, my sister-in-law has been making a particular type of Chocolate Chip cookie without eggs. They are light and fluffy and delicious! Since this recipe came from her husband, Karl’s family and was a family secret, she had been reluctant to give me the recipe. She has offered to bring them to any family gathering but could not give me the recipe. Well, I think I have found the recipe! (Giggle) I made these little beauties last night and I think they are as close to her recipe as I am going to get. They are WONDERFUL!

They are definitely once a year cookies, considering the amount of butter in them. What I love about these is that they are rich (you really don't overindulge in these, and I make them small for that reason). These shortbread cookies are so simple. Just mix the ingredients, use a tablespoon to scoop out and drop on to a parchment lined baking sheet. I know you'll want to do more, asking yourself if you should flatten them, or at least roll them in sugar, but really, there's just no need. Make these and you will have plenty to put out on a plate when someone comes over. Which they will... If your family is like mine, they disappear within a day…so hide some for later!

Shortbread Chocolate Chip Cookies

16 oz. butter
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream the butter and powdered sugar until fluffy. Add in vanilla, then slowly add in flour and mix between batches (add salt to the flour before you begin adding it to the mixer). When mixed, add in chocolate chips and just stir to combine. Drop in tablespoon-sized balls (or even slightly smaller) 1" apart on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes. (Hide half so you'll have them for later.)


No comments:

Post a Comment